AREA LIGHTS – OVERVIEW
Area Lights is a tool for creating and managing area lights for Arnold, Redshift, and Renderman.
The tool manages lights native to you renderer.
It comes with additional functionality not available in Maya.
The area light settings in the Attribute Editor is cluttered with settings. Each renderer uses varying terminology for the same functionality.
Default lights settings often aren’t ideal, it’s also difficult to switch to different lights in your scenes.
The Area Lights tool simplifies and adds the light controls into a simple UI.
We’ve also added many workflow improvements such as,
– Place the reflection of a light by clicking on a mesh
– Selecting/switch to different lights in your scene
– Opening Maya’s Light Editor
– Drop a new light from the current camera position
– Normalizing without changing the brightness
– Switching exposure/intensity without affecting the brightness
– Easy color temperature controls