This version adds the Spline IK Component to the Hive Auto-Rigger which dramatically upgrades all of our default templates (Biped, Natalie, Zoo Mannequin). An Asset Pack upgrade is coming soon with upgraded demo rigs.
The new Spline Spine is a versatile hybrid IK/FK spine targeted at both realistic and toon rigs for bipeds and quadrapeds. The spine can also be modded and used for long necks and toon legs and more.
We’ve improved support for ACES Color Space in Maya 2023 for all color related tools, and added the new Match Swatch Color Space tool for upgrading swatch colors on old scenes and FBX models to newer scenes that use ACES colorspace.
Zoo 2.7.1 also includes many other enhancements and bug fixes.
Hive Auto-Rigger (Beta) – New Spline Spine Component
Hive Auto-Rigger now has a brand new Spline Spine component, the spine is a hybrid FK/IK spline spine and new templates with the Spline Spine added.
The new Spline Spine is useful in a wide variety of situations and its targeted at toon and realistic rigs, bipeds and quadraped spines. The component can be moded for other parts such as toon legs and long necks.
Watch the full Natalie Spline Spine Dance on YouTube.
Hive Autorigger – Spline Spine Features
– Versatile Hybrid FK and Spline IK.
– Customizable control pivots.
– Accurate results for low joint (skin) counts.
– Game engine compatible (Note: Unity does not support volume).
– Designed for biped/quadrapeds.
– Squash/Stretch with global volume control.
– Squash/Stretch adjustable volume per joint.
– Max/Min volume and On/Off squash settings for realism.
– Comprehensive space-switching and matching.
– Space-switch matching for timeline (keys and bake).
– Multiple control visibility modes.
– Up Vector control flip avoid.
– Moddable for other rig parts toon legs/long neck.
Watch the full Tortoise Walk on YoutTube.
*The Spline Spine is not targeted at necks or toon legs but can be used with modifications.
Hive Autorigger: Changes
Hive Template Upgrades and Changes:
– Changed: Natalie, Zoo Mannequin and Biped templates now build with Spline Spines
– Added: New ue5_mannequin template
– Added: New biped_lightweight template matches the old biped template with an FK spine.
Hive Upgrades and Changes:
– Added: Spline Spine Component
– Added: Added UE5 naming convention presets
– Changed: Attribute labels has been tweaked and ordering is consistent for all components.
– Changed: Arm/vchain/leg now all use locators shapes for control guide pivots.
– Changed: Segment scale compensate to now defaults to true for joints.
– Changed: Scale and location of the Spine_FK component defaults at world zero.
– Changed: UI Components and Templates are now sorted.
– Changed: UI added Has Stretch setting on vchain/arm/leg components.
Hive Bug Fixes:
– Bug Fix: Exporting Hive to FBX has fixed an issue exporting locked geometry.
– Bug Fix: Fix incorrect Up Vector calculation for Aim Component.
– Bug Fix: Fix parent constraint causing issues with scale compensation.
– Bug Fix: Fix side labeling case sensitivity.
– Bug Fix: Twist Joints are fixed while reducing joint counts.
– Bug Fix: Fixed scaling issues related to IK/FK blending.
Zoo 2.7.1 now includes a UE5 rig template, mesh is not included. Joint names and orients match UE5. Note: this template is still missing the second neck joint and deformation helper joints.
New Tool: Match Swatch Color Space
The new tool Match Swatch Color Space enables you to upgrade swatch colors between the new ACES rendering space and Linear color space and others.
Support for our supported shaders Lambert, Blinn, Phong, PhongE, StandardSurface, AiStandaradSurface, Redshift Material, VRay Material, PXR Surface) with attributes diffuse, specular color, clear coat color and emission color.
The image below is imported from Maya 2020 into 2023. Before running the tool (left) and after (right) with the corrected colors. Concept based on concept art by Ashline Art.
For more information see the Match Swatch Color Space Page.
Enhancement: Shader Presets (Multi-Renderer): Upgrade
Default Presets in Shader Presets (Multi-Renderer) now all support metalness by default.
A Save Button has been added in the main UI, was previously found in the Dots-Menu only.
Enhancement: 2023 Color Space Compatibility
All shader tools now support ACES color space in Maya versions 2023 and above.
Note: Maya 2022 is not fully supported as we are using Autodesk API code found only in 2023 and above.
Enhancement: HDRI Skydomes ACES Color Space
Arnold HDRI Skydomes are now created with scene-linear Rec.709-sRGB instead of Raw color settings which fixes ACES color space issues.
Enhancement: All Image Browsers
All Image Browsers memory usage heavily reduced, all images now have a maximum size of 512×512.
Fixed a Maya 2018 crash related to loading images.
Enhancement: Cyc Alembic Assets
Default Cyc Background Models created with Shelf > Assets > Scene are now have improved UVs for texturing.
BugFix: Replace Joint Weights
Fix filtering for transforms instead of joints.
Bug Fix: Redshift Material Shaders
Setting metalness on the Redshift Material now resets fresnel and reflective color modes which were causing unexpected results.
Buy Zoo Tools.
To see all tools go to the Zoo 2 Information Page.
Registered users can download and upgrade from the Zoo 2 Install Page.