This page will show you how to install the free educational version of Autodesk’s Maya. Maya is used to create 3d images, animation and vfx for print, film, tv, and games. You’ll also see how to upgrade Maya to the latest update (it’s patch/service packs). For videos instructions, scroll down to the bottom of this page.
The Maya educational download is intended for those studying in an educational facility; however, Autodesk turns a blind eye if you’re not officially at school. So long as you only use Maya for non-commercial purposes you won’t get into any trouble.
If you’re not attending an educational institution, then just choose a school close-by.
It’s illegal to use the educational version of Maya while working on a paying job, and your files will contain the student popup notice. If you are a professional you can subscribe from the Autodesk’s site, see their website for more information about costs.
If your educational version has expired after the three-year limit, it’s common for people to use another email address and sign up again. Most students do use Maya longer than the three-year limit and most professionals also have this version of Maya installed at home while they aren’t working.
Maya Install Instructions
To Install Maya follow these steps…
1. Go to Maya Free Educational Download Page . Note: do not use the Maya LT, Zoo Tools Pro and other scripts will not work with the Maya LT version!
2. Create or log into your Autodesk account
3. Choose your closest school, or the school you attend
4. Choose your OS (operating system) and version you require, currently 2018.
5. Download and install Maya. You’ll require a license key available in your Autodesk Account.
6. You’ll want to install the latest `Update` so Maya has as few bugs as possible, see the next section.
Maya should be updated regularly to fix bugs and enable new features.
From August 2018 we’re currently using 2018 Update 4. While you are updating Maya you do not need to reinstall Zoo Tools Pro or other scripts/plugins.
1. Google “Maya (version) Update.”
2. Find the latest Update; a higher number is generally better. Updates should come with a page such as this one for 2018 with release notes.
Maya 2018 Update 4 Information
3. Log into your Autodesk Account here
4. Navigate to manage.autodesk.com > Products & Services > All Products & Services
5. Scroll down to find Maya
6. Click on “Downloads” a popup will appear, The latest version may not appear
7. Click on the tab “Updates and Add-ons”.
8. Scroll down to the latest addon version for your OS
9. Download the latest Maya Update.
10. Find your serial number on the Serial Numbers tab of the same popup.
11. Close Maya and install the update, it’ll upgrade or overwrite the previous version.
Start Maya, it should now be updated, you can check to see which version you’re running with
Windows: Help > About Maya
OSX: Maya (menu) > About Maya
Caution: Maya Early Versions
Early releases of the new versions of Maya can be buggy, and third-party plugins won’t always have a new version ready for the initial release of Maya.
It’s common to wait until at least Update 2 before changing to the new version of Maya. Later versions are considered production ready and safer to use, also by the second update most third-party plugins are available. Many companies often switch around Update 3 or 4 for stability reasons, but it can depend on the version.